Cops are going to be an inevitable part of the vagrancy strategy road trip. In all cases, treat the uniformed officer w courtesy, esp as he’s probably trying to size up the situation in seconds.
- Cops in Virginia Beach past Chesapeake tunnel on a different trip, stopped my car for tints, and searched my car. No written warning, but he said there was a lot of drug traffic in area. But eventually 6 officers were around me.
- 2 Park Rangers in Arcadia natl park offered a written warning for sleeping at Sodus Point in am. If you see the view there, you kinda understand the reason to wake up there.
- Nashville area police officer was called by property manager of a mini storage I was parked at that night. Asked to move that night.
- Albequerque police stopped me for driving too slow. Seriously. Written warning.
- Phoenix area cop knocks on window in front of Planet Fitness. Asks if anyone is inside besides me and then says I’m ok and goes away.
- Anacortes, female and male cop knocked on my window. Asks if anyone is inside besides me. Told me City ordinance says I can’t sleep in street (next to abandoned house). But for one night I’m ok. (Or don’t be here tomorrow). I tell him I’m still in town only bc my car needs repair.
- Boise male cop knocks on window. He says a neighbor called. He says I need to move. He understands that I probably just needed a place to sleep. But I need to move.
- Cop in Columbus Montana comes at night and tells me I need to move bc neighbor called. Tells me a better place in town to park, for the interim traveler.
- Denver female cop stops me for running stop sign. I told her I didn’t see it at all. I was going to a park, from Ikea during day. She asks my business. And verified my identity. No written warning. Didn’t know where she came from.
- North Dakota state trooper pulls me over for broken taillight at night. Let’s me go when he sees repair kit. He was following me for a while. I just didn’t know the “damn tailgater” was a state patrol.
- Most recently a male cop (Indianapolis or St. Louis) stopped me for driving without headlights on at night. I was driving from nearby mall, into Walmart. I was surprised the short trip drew attention. No idea where he came from. I apologized for the lights. He let me go. No warning.
Yes, they are around.